Did a little piecing. The center portion of my Fons & Porter Stars & Stripes Sampler is finally complete and ready for borders. The piecing has some issues and I will have some challenges to “quilt out”, lol. Nobody to blame but myself, hehe.
Before I left town for my work trip, I also did a little online shopping. These little gems were waiting for me when I got home, and I can’t wait for the right project to try them out! Lisa Calle’s Quilter’s Groove rulers…these things seem like they will be awesome to use!
Other than that, not much to say today. Hope your weekend is great!
I’ve only done the one, so not too overwhelming if I have to pick it out. DH likes it better without. If the “with its” win, I do see that I need to branch the feather fronds out a bit farther on the last edge…didn’t quite touch out to the point like it should.
One more pic to help you decide:
Now just use the handy little poll below! Thanks!
Edited to add a little clarification: I’m really not sure what the final quilting plan will be for the rest of the quilt…part of that will depend on whether or not I decide to keep the feather in this motif, or not. I basically just want to know if the feather looks good in that individual design to you, or not. Keeping the feather, or getting rid of the feather, will affect my decisions for the rest of the quilt.
Ok, so my time in the positive was short lived. But I love my new batiks! (see previous post for the full disclosure with photos you will drool over) So, I’m not feeling too bad about it. Ok, not bad at all. I don’t think I will, either, as long as there is movement going through my stash. Some in, some out…just not all in, in, in.
During my lunch hours, or while I’m cooking something for dinner, and I’m waiting, I’ve been sitting down at the sewing machine and working on the pieced borders for my Boston Commons.
I also got labels made for my friend’s comfort quilt. I haven’t finished trimming the jump threads, so just ignore them. It took me right at an hour to get the first one all programmed into the machine. The stitchout was 74 minutes, and that did not include the time it took me to change thread colors. I thought I was never going to get done with it. I started on it after work one evening, so I was already tired, but it was worth it. I also made a small label to go beside it, just stating that I made the quilt. Couldn’t fit it on the other label. A more experienced embroiderer might have been able to, but this was the best I could do. I don’t have any embroidery software yet, so I have to sit at the machine and program each letter in one by one, and it will only let me put so many characters on a line. So the machine stops after each line of stitching, and even if I’m not changing colors, I have to be close by to restart the machine. I hate to invest a bunch of money in embroidery software that I’m not sure I will use that much. There is a lot about the embroidery that still confuses me. I may address some of that in a future post. Maybe some of you embroidery gurus can clear up a question or two for me.
I started working on Joanna’s quilt a couple of days ago, but until today, I didn’t have anything to show for my efforts, except SID (stitch in the ditch). I’m sure she is anxious to see how it’s coming, so if you can stand a dose of cuteness, I’ll show you a peek!
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and have a great week, y’all!
More 9P & stripe…26.5 hours into it…y’all are going to get tired of seeing this one.
I’m not sure I am making all the right design choices…but, this is a learning project for me. A project to expand my skills and challenge myself, so I’m ok with that. For example, I’m not sure the large size setting triangle feather is working that well, but even so, I’ll probably just go forward with it. I’m having fun!
That scroll-y design is a Karen McTavish stencil. The setting blocks are stencils, as well, but I forgot to see who from. I’ll get that later, for anyone interested. I’m at work now, but remembered that I forgot to mention that.
First, I cannot let Memorial Day go by without stating my thanks and appreciation for all the brave men and women that have served, or do serve in the armed forces, to afford the rest of us the wonderful freedom that we enjoy. So many sacrifices they have made, many the ultimate sacrifice. And thank you to their families. Though saying thank you doesn’t seem enough.
With the crosshatching behind me, I got to start quilting feathers today. I love feathers. Love quilting them, love the way they look. I did not want to crosshatch the striped border, even though that would have matched the stripes in the interior. Instead, I chose this pretty stencil by Barbara Chainey. I’m liking it.
First, is the chalking.
Then the stitching begins.
Three hours later, one border done. (it didn’t feel like it took that long)
Much more fun that crosshatching. So, I guess I have about 9 hours left to finish the other three of these borders. This one is going to be on the machine for awhile yet. I have a plan for that little inner border that matches the setting triangles. I have a plan for the setting triangles. I have not yet decided on the very outside border…maybe swags. Maybe not. Maybe more feathers.
I took time out this morning to relocate this litte guy from the back patio, to the front flower bed, so he would be safe from Tuffy and Libby. I took the top off of Tuffy’s feeder to catch him with. The lizard was not happy about it…if he only knew, it really was for his own good. Tuffy would have caught him and eaten him, eventually. Libby would have just killed him. I like lizards.
Now he lives here. Plenty of cover and should find lots of bugs to eat.