Happy 4th of July to my fellow American readers! I haven’t worked on any of my own projects since I finished the quilting of my For the Love of Eleanor quilt. All my spare time has been spent quilting on client tops. So, this weekend, I decided to relax a little, and just have some fun.
First, I got out an embroidery collection I recently purchased, after seeing it on an episode of Fons & Porter. It’s called In a Clutch, by Vicki Tracy. I still need to find some magnetic closures, so I can finish out the tab. I don’t think I got the zipper exactly right, but it was fun to make, and I will probably do a few more.
A peek at the inside. The designer recommends finishing out the raw edges with binding, but I just don’t care that much…lol.
But, what I most proud of, is the little project I did today! I made a little apron. I don’t think I have mentioned that my oldest stepdaughter, and her family, just moved back here from Nebraska last month. That means I will be spending more time with my five year old “granddaughter-in-love”. I reckon that we will work on some little projects, such as making those little embroidered clutches, or little quilts…and maybe some cooking together. I often wear an apron while I’m working on stuff around here, so I thought she needed one to wear, too. I was watching an episode of Sewing With Nancy, and got the inspiration to make this apron, from one of her Grandpa’s button-up shirts he no longer wears. It was a nice Tommy Hilfiger shirt, but was just hanging around in the closet. I didn’t have the pattern from the show, so I just had to wing it. This is what I came up with, and I can’t wait to show it to my little Catey, later today. I hope it fits! Every bit of it, including the fabric for the ties, came from the shirt.
It’s even reversible!
The “front” has pockets.
The “back” has her initials. That was not part of the original plan, but I accidentally snipped a hole in the fabric, and needed to cover it up. Thankfully, it was almost right in the center.
I cut two identical pieces, from the shirt front and shirt back, sewed them together up the sides and across the front with right sides together, and turned it back right side out. I just used the original shirt bottom, as is, so that I didn’t have to finish that edge off.
I had fun making it. I’ll take a picture of her wearing it later. Going to get ready to grill some steaks with my hubby!